We know that balancing life and work is tricky. Learning a new language and adapting it into your routine can also be a tricky task. Here are some tips for you to practice Spanish that will make you feel more comfortable:
- Practice. The time you invest after a regular session is up to you. Make the commitment to practice consistently. This will involve review what you do in class. Memorize new vocabulary. Write sentences or ask questions with what you have learned.
- Don’t expect to be perfect! Learning something new will always involve a big chance of failure. It’s through the mistake process that we learn everything in life. When you are learning a language, common mistakes will happen. Get over the idea that it will be perfect. You’ll see that perfection doesn’t exist. Even native Spanish speakers will make mistakes. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Be patient!
- Use flashcards. In this learning process you will need fast resources that can help you retrain your brain. Flashcards are cheap and an easy way to learn new vocabulary or to review some grammar structures. You don’t need big and heavy textbooks or electronic devices, power cords or external batteries. You just need a set of 10 to 20 flashcards to practice select words and structures every day.
- Use labels. Labels are also a cheap and great way for you to constantly see the words you are trying to learn. Pick a room in your home and label it. Keep it that way for a couple of days until you feel comfortable with the words and can remember the names without looking at the labels. Later, you can label another room and so on. The more words you see, the more words you remember.
- Think simple! When you are learning a new language it’s very easy to feel frustrated because you wish you could talk as fast as the native speakers. Keep in mind no one was born speaking eloquently. We all have a starting point. A good way to avoid the pressure you put on yourself is by thinking simple. Short simple sentences that really express what you feel or what you want are the best way to start gaining confidence again. The more complex forms will come eventually. Start with simple statements. Organize your ideas and express simple thoughts.